Sunday, July 18, 2010

Carnac - France's Stonehenge






















It took us almost 4 hours to drive to Carnac, but it was definitely worth the trip. I had heard of the stone menhir alignments and dolmens in Brittany but had never seen them before. Although not quite as grand as Stonehenge, the stone groupings are more plentiful and are more spread out around the coastal town. Erected by the pre-Celtic people of Brittany during the Neolithic beginning around 4500 BC. One of the local beliefs to explain why the stones stand so straight in line is that they were Roman soldiers turned to stone by Merlin. Of course, everything else from Druids to aliens (the illegal kind!) are credited with these formations.

After exploring the rocks, we spent some time on the beach and stayed for dinner. No trip to Bretagne would be complete without crepes and cider and these were some of the best I have ever eaten!

2 comments:

  1. When I was 18 years old I was on a stone monument pilgrimage and went to Carnac. That was wayyyyy back in the 1980s when you could camp practically in the alignments. It was so cool! I remember eating bread and cheese in my tent for dinner, but yours looks so much better! I can't believe that apple tart! I'm so glad you documented it: it has to be seen to be believed, but I bet it was better eaten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carnac is one of my favorite places so I was delighted to see your photos, Jody. The last time I was there was 1974 and remember the haunting atmosphere of the place under a grey, cloudy sky.

    ReplyDelete