Saturday, July 3, 2010

How many châteaux can be visited in one weekend (without collapsing)?



























I am in full "château" mode since this weekend. From the Middle Ages, through the Renaissance and the 17th Century - there are royal traces throughout the Loire valley. In the large footsteps of Joan of Arc, we explored Chinon (later Rabelais' town), and later Loges (medieval castle complete with dungeon and torture chamber). Pre-Renaissance Kings Charles VII and VIII inhabited the château at Amboise, but it is best known for being the castle of François Ier - the most important King of France during the Renaissance. Châteaux had multiple regal inhabitants during the centuries, and some have displays of furniture for the different époques whereas some have left parts bare.

More to come, including: Le Clos Lucé (the manor where Leonardo Da Vinci spent the last three years of his life) and Le Château d'Ussé (Sleeping Beauty's castle).

In between medieval cobblestones, spiral staircases and dungeon descents, we explored an important modern day French cultural staple - the outdoor market. In France, weekends are notoriously the days for the "grand" markets. In the Kings' bedchamber one minute, the next walking through the colourful covered stands of fish mongers, cheese merchants and the inescapable bread and pastry. However, there is more to the French market than simply food. You can buy your clothes, including underwear, shoes, dishes, baskets, etc., etc. I succumbed to temptation and bought a blouse (that I was even able to try on in a portable "changing room") I have to be "à la mode", of course, and that my one-suitcase wardrobe is getting very tired already! Say nothing of course of the food. Notable specialities of the region include: fromage du chèvre (goat cheese), rillettes (pork slow cooked with spices and eaten cold) and of course le vin (wine)! As I walk through the markets, trying to keep to our timed schedule, I'm alternating between snapping off pictures, trying and buying some samples and running to keep up with the rest of the group. So much for any kind of discretion.







3 comments:

  1. Bravo on the lack of discretion! (in moderation, I'm sure). Your description of the food is wonderful, and I particularly like the photo of the decaying tower. It is hard to keep to a schedule when there is so much to see. I was thinking about that on my own seminar, and I think that in future study abroad situations, I might make a looser schedule to allow for more wandering around because it is so beneficial to have enough time, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree wholeheartedly about the need for free time to wander, and will keep that in mind as I schedule activities/class time for the group going to Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, definitely. The challenge is keeping a balance between getting the most out of the experience and surviving it! The heat is working against us these past weeks as it is difficult to do as much as you would like and not collapse. I also think that some "alone" time is necessary. As much as I like my group members and the faculty here at the university - I need some time to digest and wander around myself as well.

    ReplyDelete