Saturday, July 10, 2010

More Châteaux...










































Highlights of some châteaux we have visited:
1. Chenonceau = a castle partially designed by women - most notably Catherine de Medecis, wife of Henri IV and Diane de Poitiers (his mistress!). This is one of the most popular château in the valley and there were lots of people when we were there.
2. Chaumont (my personal favourite) = the château which Catherine de Medecis sold to Diane after Henri IV's death, when she threw her out of Chenonceau.

3. Cheverny = a more modern château which continues to be "lived in". This château is very special because it was the inspiration for le Capitaine Haddock - character in the Tintin series by the Belgian author Hergé. I am a big fan of Tintin, so this was a must-see.

4. Blois = one of the most important château during the Renaissance. Henri III ordered the assassination of The Duc de Guise in this castle.

What a spectacular region this is!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I do like Chenonceau. 25 years ago I went there with my mother and my brother. My brother and I were standing at the waterside wall thinking, "Gosh, it would be fun to have boat ride," and, lo, around the corner of the chateau came my mother rowing a lovely row boat for said boat ride. As as for Captain Haddock, he is my role model for proper cursing in French: "Mille millions de mille milliards de mille sabords!"

    ReplyDelete